Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ground Zero Is Not A Theme Park

My dear readers,

I understand that the terrifying events of 9/11 had a huge impact on Americans and even the world, but I have a problem that I just don't understand.
I overheard this conversation the yesterday and it upset me more than I can say:

"What? There are roadblocks and street closings down at Ground Zero?!
I wanted to get a t-shirt!"

My friends, We, New Yorkers, lived through that horrible day and the resulting aftermath of fear, insecurity and stress. Yes, the whole nation was attacked, the whole world frozen, but - and I say this with as much thoughtful consciousness and humility - Ground Zero Is NOT a theme park nor is it a tourist destination for fun and frolic.

 I cannot say this without sounding like an ass and, trust me, I know how I come off. But, folks, you will never know how horrifying it is to see the hawkers and vendors trying to sell tschotchkas and hats and t-shirts where an abomination occurred forcing major changes in so many New Yorkers' lives.

What has this to do with etiquette, you may ask?
Manners and etiquette, as I've mentioned before, are designed, not to handcuff people or make them feel badly about themselves, but to make everyone feel comfortable and good.

Just my opinions, of course, and I welcome any rebuttal or comment at any time.

Meanwhile, my friends, please stay healthy and safe.

- SSG

No comments:

Post a Comment